Monday, November 3, 2014

The Worth Of A Person

When someone decide to leave our lives, we get worried, at times we feel betrayed, or emotionally torn. Some just let things slide as if nothing happened. Each ever way we decide to react to this departure from our inner world, it's based on who such person was to us.
In Asa's Baby Gone, she takes us on an emotional trail of loosing someone real to our heart. It's been quite a time since I had listened to that song. But as I pulled it out from my library and listened to it, I felt something that I used to feel few months ago, and that was enraptured in the first line of the song. When you reminisce of someone you lost, all that comes to mind, is how much you could have been to this person and for me it's about who the person was and what space they have left.

Either platonic friends or partners, the value of a person is mostly known by us when they exit our lives either on a positive note or not. As Asa first sentence rolled into my ears, I couldn't think less of how much I could have been to certain people. Asa's song was on a romantic note, giving us the impression of how it is to loose someone and still want the person back. I have come to respect 
people a lot these days, because there's no body you can't learn to love when you know their story.  What draws us in is that incomplete and nuanced pieces that we try to put together.  Of course, the more you know a person's story, especially told or demonstrated by the person towards you, you begin to trust this person and subsequently love the person either platonically or romantically.
The idea of being more for someone and understanding them more, always results from first misunderstanding them. Tao Te Ching says this, "One cannot understand one thing unless he or she understands its opposite" and I suppose my pastor didn't mince words when he said, "to understand faith, or to build your faith, you must have first doubted"
What I'm looking at now is becoming someone that loosing me would be a big loss to who ever decides to let me off their life. That's adding more value to my life. Now this isn't about having more money or degrees, but adding the soft skills that will enhance my relationship with people in my inner world. I'm the type when people I bring in to my inner world makes me doubt doing that, I could fall apart. Moreover, I want to be that person whose worth can be felt mostly when one decides to walk away. 

Everybody is valuable, but they become more valuable to us when we bring them into our inner chambers. We can't please everybody and I'm not asking you to start pleasing everybody but in our uniqueness, we carry this awe or aura that spreads across and fill the room like a perfume. 
Why do we choose to be more to certain people and less to others, and still say we treat people the same? It's simply the value we place in each person. We are all not the same. 

As I wallow in my thought of how I could have been more to certain people who I wish they were still in my world, just take that moment and reflect on that one person whom you've placed value on and think of how you could be more to them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment